Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pre-Treatment Jitters

"Steve, you've just been told your PET is clean. What are you going to do now?"

Well, I'm going to worry about something else, of course! Disney will have to wait.

I'm really curious about how much scar tissue is left inside. I'm hoping SuperOnc will let me get the port out in May following rads - We're going camping / hiking in Maine this summer, and I get to backpack the 3 year old when he gets tired of walking. The strap will be sucktastic if its over top of the damn port. Some oncologists are OK with this right after treatment, others will make you wait a year or two (in case you have a relapse).

I'm also getting nervous about the end of treatments. I have a clean PET, and I'm getting chemo for any of the little buggers should they try to multiply again. When treatments end, that's no longer the case, and a single friggin Hodgkins cell could start its process over again. That's scary stuff, and will lead me to needing a Stem Cell Transplant.

Speaking of, I'm also thinking about my Philly Hodge Buddy Bekah, who's back in for round 2 of the ICE chemotherapy protocol (its used pre-SCT, and makes my ABVD look like weak Kool Aid in comparison). Here's hoping it goes easy on her.

2 comments:

Tony said...

You really need to start religiously taking the "ACES" anti-oxidant vitamins: A, C, E and Selenium. Online vitamin shops sell them all in one pill in an antioxidant forumla. Green tea is good too - real green tea - as is cutting down on meat and putting more fish in your diet, particularly fish with Omega3 fatty acids like Salmon. Toss out any oil you cook with that is not extra virgin olive oil and only cook with that. Lots of fruits and raw veggies...low fat...good protein. That's all I can think of right now that's good for cancer prevention.

Tony/Ax

Steve said...

Well, we're going to see someone on just that topic. And in any event, I have 2-4 months before we can do that anyway (the antioxidants can impact the effectiveness of chemo).