Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Don't Count Your Chickens...

I'm having a bit of a rough week.

Ever since my last chemo, the right side of my neck (where we first discovered this lovely disease) has been a bit puffy and sore. Puffy scares me, sore confuses me. In any event, I almost feel like calling my onc tomorrow to ask if I can pop in for a quick check, but my guess is she will tell me to wait for the CT / PET scans coming up next week.

I just don't think I want to wait until next week without some form of reassurance. Is it probably nothing? Sure. I never felt sore or pain before when it was there. But knowing what the consequences would be... I'd rather have my doc take a peek and if she feels anything, I can try to move scans up and such.

Oh, and it looks like we're planning to go to Paoli Hospital for radiation. We really like the doc, and the care we've received thus far has been top-notch. Penn will definitely be my destination God forbid I relapse, but for now I think staying at my Fox Chase affiliated local hospital is for the best.

We're also going to go with late afternoon rads rather than mornings I think. I read somewhere that it works out better for working, as if I have it done in the morning, I'm more likely to feel extremely tired during the workday.

2 comments:

B. said...

Lovely Steve and Sue,

I'm glad you both have made your decision, on radiation. It does, seem like the best fit for both of you and your beautiful family.

And Steve -- take a huge breath for me dear. Worrying won't get you anywhere these days. If you can, be patient enough for the next appointment.

This puffiness could be a tons of different things from scar tissue, to infection, sore, maybe a small clot that they just need to infuse your port.

If you can't sleep, and feel incredibly strong about it -- push for it. But if you can wait a week, try to just relax and sleep.

Don't push yourself! When I find, most when people end their first line of treatment, is that they want their old lives SO badly, they just force themeslves to make it all 'okay.'

Dude, you and your lovely wife just beat CANCER. This is an amazing acheivement. Chemo graduation is an amazing challenge that you have totally kicked ass in.

Few more weeks of rads, and you are on your way dear. Again, if you're feeling uneasy. Make sure you get that puffyiness and soar stuff checked out before beginning rads.

YOU must feel comfortable, before any treatment or test they give you. YOU are the patient, and in this case, you are in control.

mmm. Can't wait to meet up wtih you and the fam, once all of this is over with.

Give my Love to your wife please,
Big hugs to you as well dearest.

<3 B

Steve said...

Bekah, thanks hun - This is what I needed to hear. Granted, its not all that different from what Sue's been telling me, but.... Well, you know ;)

We are SO taking you out to dinner when this crap is over - for both of us!