Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Hibernation

Wow, the tiredness has finally arrived. Up to this point, I had about 2 days of tiredness, then was back to normal. This treatment, no such luck. I slept literally all of Monday and Tuesday (Days 4 and 5) away, and I'm working from home today (glad I am - I'm getting really tired again). I can see how this will be frustrating.

Now, partially its my own fault. Normally we plan the weekend after chemo to be free, so I can sleep like crazy. Unfortunately, we made a bunch of plans this past weekend and while I was up and running around, I think it just delayed the inevitable. Lesson learned, we'll make sure the weekend is for sleeping from now on!

On the other symptoms side, I think we're getting the hang of things. The jaw stuff is pretty much gone (just some residual dull aching), and no gut pains yet. The Senokot and Milk of Mag is taking care of business.

I made a big mistake in reading a bunch of articles online too. I read something about the 15 year disease-free survival rate being an abysmal 60-some percent. That doesn't jive with the 85 percent cure rate, but hey leave it to me to find some fun reading. I have 13 days every two weeks where I am completely confident in beating this thing, then 1 day where I let a little doubt creep in. Thirteen days where I'm excited since my treatments are down to single digits, and one day where I'm like "Oh s**t, I have 9 more of these mofo's left?".

I HATE feeling this weak. I swear, I'm getting back into powerlifting when this is done, damn the waistline.

Oh, and beyond that: We're looking for a dog. The kids have been begging, and its supposed to actually be good for me. As long as Suzanne and Sara are willing to do the cleanup for now, why not. I want a bulldog if we can, so ugly they're cute.

2 comments:

Roger said...

Steve, look what happens, you start feeling better and then you start looking for bad things! Look for the good things they are there, statistics have more than one way of being read. That 15 year one, I found it and it doesnt differentiate between stage, whether the patient relapsed and above all it doesnt say what they died of! They could have died of something altogether different and if you are going to start worrying aobut dying Erin and I will come down there and kick you ass ok ? With all the scans you are going to have over the coming years, the slightest hint of anything will be picked up and treated where as I could be walking around with who knows what in me! Now lets get back to kicking ass 14 days a cycle not 13....

Roger said...

and hey by the way I sleep at least 10 hours a day anyway and Im not doing chemo hahah