Thursday, December 6, 2007

We Cured the Big C!!!

No, not cancer (yet). Constipation.

The plan of action my oncologist put me on seems to have done the trick. I'm not having horrific gut pains, so I think I'm back to "Good Week / Bad Week" (yes friends, that's a victory in my book).

My plan of action was SenoKot S, two pills every day following treatment (one the night before). When things started to "seem" like they were getting stopped up, Milk of Magnesia on top of the SenoKot kept things going.

Yeah, its gross. Welcome to my world. However, if one other Hodger reads this before treatments and gets to avoid the agony, its worth it.

My guts still feel a little off, but I'll take it (and it could be the SenoKot). Other than that, I can't shake the tiredness. I don't know how to describe this. The constant sleeping is over, but I can't seem to just "wake up". I'm completely out of it.

I'm home again today (working, but home). I had to take two days off at the beginning of the week, and two days working from home. If this keeps up, I may have to consider disability. That would upset me, as we've been evaluating SQL Server Analysis Services, and the geek in me is having some fun with that.

Speaking of, I got my temporary handicap placard for the car. Its bright red, and good through May (i.e. radiation). Do I need it most days? Nah; At least not so far. However, for a day or so after treatment? Its amazing how weak you can feel.

On the same token, I spoke to our parish priest about mass and communion. Apparently I qualify for home visits (since church is pretty crowded, and I'm supposed to avoid crowds). I get to have mass delivered, hold the anchovies.

Dr. Szarka will be off on vacation for my next treatment December 13th, so Dr. Dabrow (the head of the Cancer Center) will get to see me. Lucky him, ha ha.

P.S. And what the hell, I've had some SERIOUS bloodshot eyes the last few days. It looks like I've been smoking some sort of alternative medicine...

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey Steve - Wullieswife here - thought it was about time I checked out 'the lord of the hodge'!!
I'm very much finding that the Hodge and pregnancy are very similar (bear with me!!) it's a case of no-holds barred, let me share and leave all dignity at the door!! Did you EVER imagine that you would be writing about your constipation (or thankfully lack of :0) ) for all the world to see!!
Glad to hear you're doing OK - I'll be sure to keep in touch with your progress! Enjoy the pre-Christmas madness!!........xx

Unknown said...

hey steven!!! just wanted to let you know that you are still in my thoughts and prayers!!! so happy to read your blog and keep up w/ you and your fight! can't believe steven is THREE already!!! COMPLETELY INSANE!!! i have some good news on the cancer front! i am officially cancer-free ;o)) so thought i'd share that with you!!! stay well! and REST!!! love you! nichole