Monday, December 10, 2007

Yes, I'm Still Here

Sorry about the lack of posts. I've just been... Good. I feel great, which of course means its time for another treatment. I have lots to go over with Dr. Dabrow on Thursday though:

  1. There's a major shortage of the isotope used for PET scans, which check to see if there's any living cancer cells left in a body. Seems the brain trust that is our medical industry and government decided that having a single source for the stuff -- a 50 year old reactor in Canada -- Was a fine idea. Well, said reactor's been down a while for repairs, and the supply has dwindled out. Here's hoping we're good for my February scan.
  2. More importantly though, I'd like to get his opinion about a Phase 2 trial going on down at John Hopkins U Hospital in Baltimore. Seems they have a VACCINE that fights Hodgkins cells. No lie. Its for folks who complete initial treatment to clear out the cancer, and will help train your body to fight off any cells that decide they might want to make a comeback. It sounds freakin awesome; While I have a 85-90+ percent chance this isn't coming back, every little bit more is great in my eyes. I'll have the app in tomorrow, and if I'm selected I'd get the vaccine sometime next August (once all my treatments are done).
The kids are getting real excited for Christmas. We have the tree up and decorated, and Steve (who loves trains to begin with) made our office TV into the "Polar Express" channel.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Steve, glad to hear you're doing well, and that your post-treatment symptoms are becoming somewhat predictable and controllable. I've been trying to keep up every few days! I hadn't heard about the PET scan isotope. That's too bad. My aunt just had her pet scan done, and I hadn't heard anything about it being delayed, so hopefully yours will be on time too. Of course, that's in Michigan, and in my ignorance I have no idea if there are other supplies of the isotope for other areas of the country or not. I hope you and Suzanne and the kids are able to have a really enjoyable holiday, and that you're as symptom-free as possible! Take care

Sara (Crikette)

Veronica said...

Hi Steve - glad that the pre-Christmas madness isn't confined to just our household!

Enjoy EVERY minute of it!! That's what life is all about!!!!.........xx

Steve said...

Hey you two, thanks for writing!

I don't get scanned until February, so I don't THINK it will be a problem; I just want to ask my onc about it.

I ***LOVE*** the holidays, so I'm glad I'm enjoying it at the moment and given the treatment schedule, should have a blast for Christmas (New Years is probably gonna be a wash, but that's OK).

Roger said...

Hey Steve, the Canadian government just passed some emergency legislation which allows the reactor to reopen so isotopes will be no problem! We just had the radiation consult and it was pretty cool, the risks of secondary problems are pretty insignificant these days...