Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Getting Ready for Phase 2

As mentioned, I get my re-staging scans in a few short weeks - Essentially, all results will be in before treatment 5A (treatment number 9 for you non-cycle thinking fans). These scans will let us know how well the ABVD has worked thus far. The goal (and what everyone should be praying for) is COMPLETE RESPONSE. That means no living cancer cells are detected. We may see some "uptake" in a scan related to inflammation, so not getting a CR isn't the end of the world either. What we don't want (and no one expects, so don't worry) is uptake in places other than my neck and chest, or if it grew in those areas. That would be a bad thing, and since it ain't happenin, we'll leave it at that.

Once those tests are in, we figure out if we're done treatments April 9th, or if it goes out another two months. Also, these scans are used to start putting together the game plan for phase 2 of this fun, radiation treatment. That's the good news for today.

My fellow Hodgie, Bekah, is currently kicking ass and taking names at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP for short) following a relapse -- It does happen unfortunately. However, she was wonderful enough to pass on the radiation oncologist recommended by her doctors: Dr. Eli Glatstein. Apparently he's among the "best of the best", and I've been lucky enough (with Bekah's help) to land an appointment with him in March. Radiation is no joke, and I'm not taking chances with it -- If I can have the best working on me, then damn skippy.

Bekah, can't thank you enough for helping me get an appointment with him.

On a separate topic, I find myself in the horrific predicament of once again having to root for the New York Giants. I hate cheaters, and while it was a small event I find the Patriots to not be a team I can root for. That leaves me rooting for the Giants, my brother's favorite team. I wish I liked pro basketball, sigh...

He's throwing a party on Sunday for the game, so it should be a fun time. I'll be damned if I'm showing up in a Giant's jersey though. Hell no.

3 comments:

skye said...

Hey there!! I'd love to add you to my blog. Send me your link if you'd like!

Steve said...

Sent ya a PM on the WebMagic boards Skye (in case you didn't see it).

B. said...

Dearest Steve,

So glad the appointment worked out, always here at UPENN if you need ANYthing - please just let me know.

I pretty much live within the hospital walls anyway, so it'll give me something to do ;)

Tons of Love,

B