Thursday, January 24, 2008

Treatment 7 (5 to go!)

So far, so good.

We went in for our 7th treatment, knowing that the dose reduction did a number on my symptoms (they're mostly gone). I have some interesting "cysts" on my thumbs which are probably viral and will go away on their own, but we're supposed to watch them. Other than that, the eyebrows continue to slowly work their way off my head. We will soon be making the transition to bald in-style guy to Moon Boy. Oh well.

The real annoying thing is I put on 9 more pounds in the last two weeks. 9 pounds!!! Damn playoff football and the awesome foodstuffs one has then! We're going back on the diet. Dr. Szarka said if I don't at least maintain weight next time, she's going to dose reduce me. (She said that in joking, it was pretty funny).

The week before treatment 9 (in about 3 weeks), we will be re-staged: They will run a CT scan, PET scan, chest xray, pulmonary (breathing) function test, and heart echo. The first three are to see how treatment has worked thus far. We're all convinced it will be a Complete Response - Everything is dead. The last two are to check the functions of my lungs and heart following the treatments, as they can cause toxicity. My lungs sound great though per my onc.

So, we're back to dieting, and getting anxious to get the story on where we're at. A Complete Response gives us the best chance that this is not refractory disease (recurring).

Saturday is my fraternity chapter's reunion party (Theta Chi). I'm going to be exhausted, but dammit I'm going to make this thing. I even got clearance to nurse a couple beers while I'm there!! I just want to make sure I don't turn it into a somber event -- I doubt it, but I hope not, no matter how much I want to see them.

I'm tired, I'm weak... But I see a light at the end of the tunnel now.

7 comments:

Veronica said...

Enjoy your frat reunion - does DW get to go too? Or is it just boys together like the 'good ol' days'??!

Make sure you enjoy it!!

Glad you're on the downhill slope now - keep ticking off those treatments and before you know it, this whole crappy chapter will be closed :0)

Love to all.........xx

Steve said...

Well, I met the wife in college (she was President of her sorority), and she knew most of the guys I did. She's also a year older than me (a point thats ALWAYS fun to make), so she knows some of the older brothers better than me!

She's definitely going -- Besides, two days after treatment I think I'd prefer a designated driver even if I don't drink!

laulausmamma said...

Have fun at the frat party Steve. Remember - mind over matter....I feel good - let's party (but not too hardy)!! Enjoy getting together with your friends.

Susan

Veronica said...

Well Steve - how was the PARTAY?......did you manage to have a good time?.......photos?? I expect to see a frat party post before the day is out, which gives you only another couple of hours as we're so many hours ahead of you over here!!.........xx

laulausmamma said...

I too have been waiting for a frat-party update Steve!! Hope you went and had a great time. There has to be a story to tell : )

Susan

B. said...

Dearest Steve,

Glad to see you're starting to see that flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.

As for treatments at Upenn, I'm incredibly close with my NP. I'll shoot her an email if you'd like. She can give me the top two Rad guys for Hodge, if you'd like.

Let me know if you are still considering Upenn - as they are, the best of the best.

Tons of Love,

B

Steve said...

Sorry, I left everyone hanging on the fraternity event!! I updated the blog!

Bekah -- I sent you an email to the mac.com address on your blog: I would LOVE a recommendation from you and your docs, please! I sent both of my emails to you. THANK YOU! *hugs*