Monday, January 28, 2008

A Night of "Normal"

Hey, wanted to catch everyone up on Saturday's events (since I haven't posted since last week). Suzanne and I made it to the fraternity reunion Saturday night. I felt GOOD, although a little tired and week (only two days after tx). What a friggin time warp! I haven't seen any of these guys in ten years (Suzanne and I lost touch when we lived in Ireland back around 2000).

I sent an email out last week to one of my brothers, letting him know if I didn't make it, here's the reason why (i.e. Hodge). Well, Jackass (namely me) does a reply all on the email, so rather than low-key, it goes out to everyone. Yeah chemo brain!

Wow, the reactions though. I have guys who I haven't seen in forever offering their help if I need it, giving me contact details. I love Theta Chi -- Its a brotherhood forever. I was touched, big time.

We had a BLAST! We didn't stay for the whole event (I started "crashing" around 9PM), but we talked with friends, and I met a brother from the 80's who just beat cancer - twice. He lives in the area, and he left a standing offer to take me out to lunch and talk if I need it.

I'm so glad I went. I got a night of normal, and it felt good. I plan on many more once this thing is beat in 3 months.

On a side note, please say a prayer for a woman named Sarah and her partner. She's a person I called my "Hodge Hero" on the Hogkin's Support forums, and she's in a bad way right now. She was like the Den Mother for the forum, having battled this for years and no treatments providing her the cure she deserves. I'm hoping for a miracle.

4 comments:

laulausmamma said...

Hi Steve - so glad that you and Suzanne got to party on Sat night and had a great time. Sounds like you have a terrific group of "brothers".

Susan

Steve said...

Definitely! Forgot to mention that one of them is in a triathalon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society, and he's adding me to the people he's running for.

Veronica said...

About time you posted, Steve ;0)......Glad you had a fantastic time - the 'normal' times come to mean so much, you've just got to make the most of them!!

Thanks for making me smile with your update!........xx

BaldyLocks said...

I can sympathize with the chemo brain. I'm glad you had a good time anyway! "Normal" is a hard thing to come by these days.