Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Preparing for the Future

Well, tomorrow takes us into the home stretch, the 4th quarter of my treatments. I feel GOOD. I don't know if that means the treatments aren't bothering me as much, if I see light at the end of the tunnel, or what. I know I'll be tired again tomorrow, and for the next 4-5 days, but no biggie.

So, as most of you know I've worked throughout treatment (minus some days here and there as needed). Honestly, a lot of that had to do with my new role at work. I was named Solutions Architect for our division a whopping ONE DAY before I was diagnosed and this nightmare began. I stepped out of my supervisor / management role, and went into a entirely new role within the company - I didn't want to screw it up.

Well, while it leaves me wanting to get a refund on my MBA, I've had more fun in the role than I've had in years. I'm back doing some coding, while having a leadership role and say in the strategic design of our systems. As the role gets more exposure and work (as it has), I'll probably get some staff to assist me (there just wasn't headcount for this year). The fun is what's kept me trying (and its nice to hear your manager say your work effort is "Herculean"). I'm learning very current technologies, Microsoft's toolset: .NET, Reporting Services, Analysis Services, C#, SharePoint, PerformancePoint. This is good stuff - Its awesome putting together my company's next-generation portal, and it doesn't hurt the resume (not that I plan on going anywhere).

Its odd, but after my manager made me feel... Secure... With my job, I have some serious loyalty towards my company. Will I be a technical manager at 35 as was my personal goal (which is hard in my stodgy company)? Possibly, but probably not in my new role. Am I happy? Hell yeah. I can take my experience as a Solutions Architect and apply it in plenty of places; I just happen to love my company as well.

OK, enough gushing over my work. However, I'm starting to finally have thoughts of a future beyond cancer. As curable as Hodgkin's is, as great as the treatments are at nixing this stuff, its still CANCER. Your mortality definitely comes into focus, and stays there.

Now? I'm thinking of other long-term, strategic tasks I want my role / group to take on, tools I need to learn, a camping trip this summer to plan for, and a "Couch Potato to 5k" running plan to enact. I've applied to join a board committee for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, as well as offerred to speak publically on its behalf. I'm also trying to start a "Light the Night" Corporate Team.

Beyond that though, I'm really making sure I make more time for the kids and Suzanne. While I think I'm cured and my doctors feel the same... You never know when you might take a medical test and hear something you don't want to hear. That's the biggest lesson I'm taking out of this.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I would love to be part of your light the night team. Just tell me wen and where!