Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Boy In the Bubble

Today's episode is brought to you by the letters D, A, M, and N and the number 0.1.

So, we went in bright and cheerful for treatment 2. Cocky confidence was in full effect, and I wore a smile from ear to ear. Got plugged in (didn't even get upset when the nurse didn't use the numbing stuff), got my blood drawn, and saw my oncologist. She was amazed by the reduction in my neck area -- My left side has no feelable nodes left, and the right is smaller than when I saw her originally on October 2nd. Booya, baby!

Her next words were, "OK, now I'm going to have to make you a little sad." And sad she made me.

Apparently, while my white count was fine, my neutrophils were down to 0.1. This officially makes me NEUTROPENIC: Where I have no infection fighting ability. I'm in a lucky 1% of the ABVD taking population where I am EXTREMELY sensitive to the chemo. Good for killing Hodge, bad for making me wear what's on the left as a business suit if I want to go to the office. It also means I wouldn't get my treatment today.

Instead, I got a shot of neupogen, which makes your body's marrow go into overdrive and produce white blood cells. While we are going to try and have treatment tomorrow, the fact is its very unlikely they will come up in time. So, instead, I will get another shot of neupogen and get treatment Monday. No risk for delaying just a couple days, so c'est la vie.

In the meantime, public places crowds, public transportation, the office... All are out. So I'm working from home for a couple days.

The good news is that when I get treatment, they will start giving me Neulasta, which is like neupogen except you don't need to get it every day (just once per treatment). The bad news is its like a super neupogen, and your body's marrow lets you know how unhappy it is for working overtime by causing some lovely bone pain. Its just a few days and for a good cause, but still...

Other than that, everything is looking good. My kidneys took the barrage of dead cells they had to clear well, and are functioning great, as is the rest of my system. Now to just get an immune system back!

Anyway, I'll let you know how things make out tomorrow.

2 comments:

francisfantastic said...

Steve! i haven't had the chance to write you back on the so nice post and offer to chat our way through this stage 2 bulky thing only a few treatment days apart, that you left (did that make sense?) thank you so much for that.. i am sorry to read todays post.. one percent! the odds of this whole thing make me think we should be playing the lottery! i hope you are having your next chemo very soon.. my next one is monday.. maybe we will be on the exact same schedule! all the best and think you! e

Steve said...

Well, odds are good we will be on the same schedule :-) Since my counts were so low, they don't think it will happen today.

Its actually a good thing in a way -- While it beat up my white blood cells, it also beat up the Hodge pretty good; My neck nodes are pretty much gone at this point.

Whether they will react as drastically in tx 2 is anyone's guess, but as long as they keep shrinking until they're gone!

Glad to meet you and your boyfriend Erin, and we can definitely compare notes as we go through!

Steve