Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Twas the Night Before Chemo...

Well, another day down, and tomorrow is treatment 2 - My first cycle of ABVD will be complete! I'm looking forward to killing Hodge (as I always am), but I know I'm due for some craptastic feeling for a few days.

I'm also getting nervous about my blood counts. Once my white blood cells get low enough (they are killed along with cancer), my oncologist will start hitting me with Neulasta. Neulasta is a drug that puts your bone marrow into overdrive, creating more white blood cells so a cold won't land me a trip to the hospital. Sounds like a winner, right? Well, the downside is that bone marrow likes to remind you how pissed it is when put into overdrive. It does so by causing your bones to ache - badly. My oncologist said to me day 1 "There are drugs for pretty much everything we need to work with, and every drug has side effects."

Speaking of my oncologist, she's in for a surprise tomorrow. She gets to go through my list of questions tomorrow. Hope she's light on the appointment calendar Thursday morning. However, we're bringing coffee and donuts for them all, so hopefully she won't mind so much.

Steven has been sick for the last two weeks, and still sounds like ass. I've been playing with him (not going to lock myself up), but I've been washing my hands raw at the same time. Suzanne took him to the pediatrician a while ago, but they said it was viral and they really couldn't do anything, it would clear on its own. Friggin lovely.

On the bright side, I got to hit DiBruno's for some quality italian bread today for the nice spaghetti and meatballs dinner tonight. I also helped myself to a nice chicken, mozzarella, roasted pepper and pesto sandwich for lunch (while the stomach is in good-week mode). The downside of my enjoyment of food is that I've gone up to about 248 lbs. Not losing weight (good), but getting the "I told you so" comments from Suzanne (bad).

So, tomorrow is tx 2. The Emend is in the medicine cabinet, the Colace is ready for the constipation, the ginger ale is in the fridge, and my saltines are standing by in the closet. Bring it on.

No comments: